Before I start with this post, I want to let people know that this is a purely subjective topic. If you’re a mother yourself, or if you’re not, and this doesn’t apply to you, fine. This is just from my personal experience. If, on the other hand, you have something to add, please feel free to do so.
I’ve always marveled at the difference between a normal woman and a mom. Here are just a few of the things I’ve observed.
- A normal woman knows everything there is to know about rearing children and isn’t afraid to tell anyone about her views. A mother knows within the first year of her first child that she hasn’t got the first clue.
- A normal woman’s purse is usually something small, like a wallet. A mother’s purse could often easily double as a diaper bag.
- A normal woman usually has a package of Kleenexes in her purse. A mother has kleenex, baby wipes and hand sanitizer in her purse, sometimes coupled with a spare diaper for emergencies
- A normal woman carries her drivers license in her purse. A mother also has her children’s shot records.
- A normal woman will usually wear heels on a date. Mothers usually wear flats, particularly if their kids are under the age of four.
- A normal woman can keep her house immaculately clean. Mothers can, but are often too tired and/or too busy to do it.
- A normal woman has time to put on make up and curl her hair. A mother is lucky if she has time to take a shower.
- A normal woman’s idea of a vacation might be something like Hawaii. A mother’s idea of a vacation is when the children are asleep.
- A normal woman keeps pens in her purse. A mother has broken crayons and small toys.
- A normal woman’s house is filled with the works of authors like Stephen King. A mother’s house usually has one or more of the works of Dr. Seuss.
I can’t think of any more. Please don’t think that I’m knocking either mothers or non-mothers. As a woman, I can safely say I’ve been both. All I’m saying is that there are times when I look back at the days before I was a mother as a much simpler time. If I come up with any more, I’ll post them.